It's the first time I've properly spoken to one of my neighbours (those who live in the same building as me.) Normally, it's just a quick "bonjour!", "bonsoir" and occasionally a "comment allez-vous?" but this evening, after I'd (accidentally!) almost just slammed the door in his face, a man who lives above me started up a conversation... and do you know what he asked...?
- "Vous aimez faire la cuisine?"
- "err, oui..." [what a strange question!]
- "Vous faites la cuisine souvent?"
- "errrrrrr, ouais...." [where is this going....? have I almost set the building on fire recently...? or burnt something???]
- "C'est la cuisine française que vous faites...? Parce que j'habite au-dessus et je m’arrête devant la porte de temps en temps parce qu'il sent tellement bon!"
- "Do you like cooking?"
- "err yes"
- "Do you cook often?"
- "erm, yeah"
- "Is it French food you do...? Because I live upstairs and I stop in front of your door sometimes because it smells so good!")
One very chuffed Emma this evening. :) This is the second Frenchman in a week who's complimented me on my cooking - and this one hasn't even tried it!
Now I'm off to make a big batch of Jamaican-style rice'n'beans!